The one word my Chihuahua puppy knows for sure is “kitty.” Musette la Plume exerts a powerful glamour over Josie O, and that started long before I began giving them treats jointly, to make Musette tolerate Josie’s presence.
Things Josie O knows about the cat.
1) She’s the only other furbaby in the house.
2) She’s large and powerful, able to leap onto tall objects, such as the couch.
3) She doesn’t go to the bathroom, at least not where Josie can see.
4) She gets to go outdoors at will.
5) She speaks a foreign language, and has mysterious conversations with the woman.
6) She hates puppies.
I can only imagine their unspoken thoughts toward each other, as Josie stands at the bottom of the stairs and Musette looks down at her.
Josie O: “Hi! Hi! I don’t know what you are, but I want to play with you! Look at me wagging my tail! You can trust me – look at me looking away from you. Now I’m looking back, but I’m wagging my tail even harder! Hi!”
Musette la Plume: “Look at that thrashing tail. And what’s with those eyes? They’re all pupil. She wants to kill me for sure. Oh, she seems small, but the second I let my guard down, she’ll puff up and show her real size, which is probably huge, like a beagle. Well, dream on, dog.”
Both: “Wait…Mom’s coming over…with treats!“